Doctorate in Psychology Degree Programs in Oklahoma
Find Programs for Doctorate in Psychology Degrees in Oklahoma
As a psychologist, the onus is on you to provide evidence-based care to patients of different clinical needs, from different backgrounds, and with various comorbid diagnoses. This is a huge responsibility that can have serious consequences if taken lightly, which is why doctorate in psychology Oklahoma programs have such high expectations for students.
When you enter a PhD or PsyD program, you can count on learning the clinical, research, and teaching skills you need to begin working in clinical psychology, research, or postsecondary instruction. Due to the hands-on nature of this program, you should expect to attend a local program within driving distance. Throughout the duration of your education, you should go to various clinical locations to apply your lessons and practical skills.
Whether you have specific research interests and specialties in mind or you’re just starting to think about your next step, find out more about psychology programs in Oklahoma to begin.
Getting Your Doctorate Degree in Psychology in Oklahoma
To enroll in a doctorate in psychology program, you’ll need to first complete a Bachelor’s degree at an accredited school. This degree does not necessarily have to be in psychology, but a degree in psychology may save you a bit of time in the long run. You should have a high GPA and good academic references, as many psychology PhD and PsyD programs can be very competitive.
PhD options are more widely available than PsyD programs, due to their basis in research and teaching. It may be a viable option for you if you want the option to go into clinical work or academia. These programs are based on the scientist-practitioner model, which focuses on research while developing the skills needed to apply research to clinical work.
In a PhD program, you may take courses like:
- Quantitative Methods in Psychology
- Psychological Research Design
- Multivariate Methods
- Cognitive Processes
- Experimental Learning Theories
- Lifespan Cognitive Developmental Psychology
- Advanced Social Psychology
- Neurobiological Psychology
PsyD programs tend to be a bit more narrow in their scope. You should study research analysis and techniques as a PsyD student, but the focus of research-based coursework is learning how to apply it to your work as a practitioner. In your courses, you should learn how to diagnose and identify mental illnesses, conduct intake interviews, create treatment plans, and execute treatment plans.
With that in mind, you may find these courses in your PysD curriculum:
- Intellectual Clinical Assessment
- Ethics, Law, and Clinical Practice
- Theories of Personality
- Personality Clinical Assessment
- Adult Psychopathology
Whether you pursue a PhD in psychology Oklahoma or a PsyD, you may have to earn about 120 credits to graduate. This can often be completed in about five years.
Working With Your Doctoral Degree in Psychology in Oklahoma
Licensure of psychologists is overseen by the Oklahoma State Board of Examiners of Psychologists. After you earn your license, you must renew it each year by December 31 and pay a $350 renewal fee. To get your initial license, you are required to pass the Examination for Professional Practice of Psychology and the Oklahoma Jurisprudence exam.
Overall, the job outlook for doctoral-level psychology professionals is strong in Oklahoma. Between 2012 and 2022, O*Net predicts a 9% boost in psychologist jobs (2016). This includes job openings in clinical, counseling, and school psychology. Psychology professors may enjoy a 16% increase in demand by 2022 (O*Net, 2016). The average salary for a psychologist in Oklahoma is $55,130 per year (Bureau of Labor Statistics, 2016).
With your PhD or PsyD, you may have the qualifications needed to work in various settings. While some graduates pursue academic careers at colleges and universities, others go on to work in mental health clinics, hospitals, or privately owned practices.
The possibilities that come with a doctoral degree are very diverse.
Learn more about the benefits of higher education by contacting doctorate in psychology OK programs.
- District of Columbia
- New Hampshire
- New Jersey
- New Mexico
- New York
- North Carolina
- North Dakota
- Puerto Rico
- Rhode Island
- South Carolina
- West Virginia
- Doctor of Philosophy in Psychology - Clinical
- Ph.D. in Educational Psychology
- Counseling Psychology Doctoral Program
- Doctor of Philosophy in Psychology
- Doctor of Philosophy in Psychology - Animal Cognition
- Doctor of Philosophy in Psychology - Cognitive
- Doctor of Philosophy in Psychology - Developmental
- Doctor of Philosophy in Psychology - Industrial-organizational
- Doctor of Philosophy in Psychology - Personality Psychology
- Doctor of Philosophy in Psychology - Quantitative Psychology
- Doctor of Philosophy in Psychology - Social
- JD/MA in Industrial/Organizational Psychology
- PhD in Clinical Psychology
- PhD in Clinical Psychology - Developmental Psychopathology
- PhD in Clinical Psychology - Gene-Environment Interactions
- PhD in Clinical Psychology - Journalism and Trauma
- PhD in Clinical Psychology - Neuropsychological Assessment
- PhD in Clinical Psychology - Pain Perception and Physiology
- PhD in Clinical Psychology - Personality Assessment
- PhD in Clinical Psychology - Traumatic Stress Studies
- PhD in Industrial/Organizational Psychology