ONLINE DOCTORATE OF PSYCHOLOGY PROGRAMS IN HAWAII
Find Programs for Doctorate in Psychology Degree Programs in Hawaii
The field of psychology is extremely diverse, with careers and research opportunities in dozens of specialties and areas of study. No matter what area of psychology holds your interest, you may reach your full potential with a PhD or PsyD. These degrees give you the title of doctor and permit you to work independently with patients throughout Hawaii.
The need for licensed psychologists is even greater in Hawaii than it is in many other states. While it’s easy for people in major cities to find psychologists and counselors, residents of less populated islands and remote communities may have very little access to important mental health services. Becoming a psychologist could help you qualify for grants and meet growing healthcare needs in Hawaii.
Before you can work in this field, you need an education from an APA-accredited doctoral psychology program. Hawaii has several options for PhD and PsyD degree seekers.
Check out your options below with our list of APA accredited PsyD programs in Hawaii.
Getting Your Doctorate Degree in Psychology in Hawaii
To start the path to a PhD in psychology in Hawaii, ensure that you fit the admissions requirements of local schools. At competitive institutions, you may need to far exceed the minimum requirements to have a chance. You do need a Bachelor’s degree, but it doesn’t have to be in psychology. However, some schools require at least 12 credits of undergraduate psychology coursework.
Furthermore, you need high scores on the GRE and positive professor or supervisor references. You should have a strong idea of your research interests, as this is one of the ways that schools decide whether or not you are a good fit.
Think about how you want to use your psychology degree to figure out if you should pursue a PhD or PsyD. With a PhD, you may be ready for research, teaching, and clinical positions. With a PsyD, you may be expertly trained in clinical work.
In a PhD program, you may find courses like:
- Quantitative Inquiry
- Qualitative Inquiry
- Social Psychology
- Neuropsychological Assessment
- Experiential Theory and Therapy
- Clinical Interviewing
- Cognitive Behavioral Theory and Therapy
Most of the courses required by PsyD in psychology programs in HI have a clinical foundation. For example, the courses below are commonly required:
- Evaluation and Treatment of Diverse and Marginalized Populations
- Clinical Psychopharmacology
- Consultation and Community Mental Health
- Cognitive and Affective Processes
- Biological Bases of Behavior
- Social Psychology
- Projective Personality Assessment
- Integrative Assessment
In addition to your classroom coursework, each school sets its own practical experience requirements. For both programs, this may involve at least three clinical rotations or practicum courses. In a PhD program, you may be expected to participate in research each semester and teach undergraduate courses.
Working With Your Doctoral Degree in Psychology in Hawaii
Professional and Vocational Licensing is the licensing agency for psychologists in Hawaii. You must submit official transcripts from all colleges and universities you’ve attended, an Internship Verification form, and references. The final step in getting a license is passing the Examination for Professional Practice in Psychology.
This degree is fairly flexible. You may look for positions at private employers, government agencies, and nonprofit organizations. You may even open your own practice as a clinical psychologist. Use the connections you build as a doctoral student to find positions and employers that suit your experience.
Hawaii psychology salaries tend to be in line with national averages. School, counseling, and clinical psychologists report an average salary of $79,800 annually (Bureau of Labor Statistics, 2016). Psychology professors earn, on average, $78,230 per year (BLS, 2016). Job openings for clinical psychologists may swell 9% by 2022, compared to a predicted 13% increase in psychology professor jobs (O*Net, 2016).
This is the time to advance your education and explore new career choices. Get everything you need to get started by contacting PsyD and PhD in psychology programs in Hawaii.
- District of Columbia
- New Hampshire
- New Jersey
- New Mexico
- New York
- North Carolina
- North Dakota
- Puerto Rico
- Rhode Island
- South Carolina
- West Virginia
- Doctor of Education in Counselor Education & Supervision (Atlanta)
- Doctor of Psychology in Clinical Psychology
- Doctor of Psychology in Clinical Psychology - Child & Family Clinical Practice
- Doctor of Psychology in Clinical Psychology - Diversity in Clinical Practice
- Doctor of Philosophy in Psychology - Behavioral Neuroscience
- Doctor of Philosophy in Psychology - Clinical Studies
- Doctor of Philosophy in Psychology - Clinical Studies Respecialization
- Doctor of Philosophy in Psychology - Cognition
- Doctor of Philosophy in Psychology - Community and Cultural Psychology
- Doctor of Philosophy in Psychology - Developmental
- Doctor of Philosophy in Psychology - Experimental Psychopathology
- Doctor of Philosophy in Psychology - Social/Personality
- PhD in Educational Psychology
- PhD in Kinesiology & Rehabilitation Science