Doctorate in Psychology Degree Programs in Louisiana
Overview of Doctorate in Psychology Degree Programs in Louisiana
To understand the future of the field of psychology, you simply have to look at its history. Over the last 100 years, psychology has completely transformed as a career and as a field of study. Each year, this field changes even more. With ongoing research, clinical technique improvement, and public understanding, it is likely that the coming years will make psychology even more prominent in the United States.
If you have a Bachelor’s degree in psychology or another social science, you may be considering a doctorate in psychology. Whether you choose to earn a PsyD or PhD, you can learn about the most current research in this field and how it is used by clinicians.
Louisiana is home to many private and public institutions that award doctoral degrees in this field. If you are particularly interested in one specialized area of psychology, you may be able to focus your doctoral studies in that area.
Discover your education options by contacting doctorate in psychology programs in Louisiana.
Getting Your Doctorate Degree in Psychology in Louisiana
Perhaps the more common degree option is the PhD. A PhD is a fairly flexible degree, as it allows you to become licensed as a clinician while still providing you with extensive experience in teaching and research. If you would like to try different positions throughout your career, the versatility of a PhD is a significant benefit.
As a PhD student, you must earn approximately 90 credits in courses that cover clinical work, theory, research techniques, and instructional methods.
PhD in psychology programs in LA may include courses like those listed here:
- Physiological Psychology
- Fundamentals of Psychopharmacology
- Historical Foundations of Psychology
- Personality Theory
- Issues in Academic Psychology and Teaching
- Theories of Counseling and Psychotherapy
- Advanced Seminar in Counseling Theories
- Techniques and Methods of Counseling
- Intellectual/Personality/Integrative Assessment
Some students go into psychology with intentions of working in clinical care. If you have little interest in research or teaching, you may consider a PsyD. PsyD programs prepare you for a variety of clinician roles. You may learn how to address community-wide behavioral health issues, develop individual behavioral health plans, and master counseling techniques used for different populations.
Clinical work is a huge component of this degree, so plan on earning well over 1000 hours of supervised experience with patients.
At PsyD in psychology programs in LA, you may take courses like:
- Individual Approaches to Psychotherapy
- Biological Bases of Behavior
- Psychological Assessment
- History and Systems of Psychology
- Advanced Cognitive Behavior Therapy
- Research Methodology
- Consultation and Education
For both PhD and PsyD programs, it’s essential to choose an APA accredited program. Becoming licensed may be significantly more difficult with a degree from an unaccredited institution, and in some cases, you may not even qualify for a license.
Working With Your Doctoral Degree in Psychology in Louisiana
Completing your degree is the first step to becoming licensed through the Louisiana State Board of Examiners of Psychologists. As you near the end of your education, you can start to gather the paperwork and documentation you need to streamline this process.
You must earn a passing score on the Examination for Professional Practice of Psychology. You must submit three references from working psychologists, a notarized application, a Supervised Practice Plan, official school transcripts, and a background check application. When you get your license, you can officially begin calling yourself a psychologist and working in clinical positions.
You may choose a clinical practice career path or an academic career path. Louisiana psychologists earn an average of $
If you want to excel in a psychology career, the proper training and education is essential. To get more information now, reach out to PsyD and PhD in psychology programs in Louisiana.
- District of Columbia
- New Hampshire
- New Jersey
- New Mexico
- New York
- North Carolina
- North Dakota
- Puerto Rico
- Rhode Island
- South Carolina
- West Virginia
- Doctor of Philosophy in Psychology
- Doctor of Philosophy in Psychology - Biological
- Doctor of Philosophy in Psychology - Clinical
- Doctor of Philosophy in Psychology - Cognitive/Developmental
- Doctor of Philosophy in Psychology - Industrial/Organizational
- Doctor of Philosophy in School Psychology
- Doctor of Philosophy in Counseling Psychology
- Doctor of Philosophy in Industrial/Organizational Psychology
- Doctor of Philosophy in Psychological Science - Cognitive/Behavioral Neuroscience
- Doctor of Philosophy in Psychological Science - Developmental Psychology
- Doctor of Philosophy in Psychological Science - Psychology
- Doctor of Philosophy in Psychological Science - Social Psychology
- Doctor of Philosophy in School Psychology
- Doctor of Philosophy in Applied Biopsychology
- Doctor of Philosophy in Applied Developmental Psychology
- Doctor of Philosophy in Counselor Education
- Doctor of Philosophy in Rehabilitation Counseling