OnlinePsychologyDegrees.com is the largest online resource for you to discover and contact schools in your area that offer psychology degrees with a focus on clinical studies. With our directory of schools in New York you can request information from multiple programs to be sure you choose the right one for you. Review our directory of featured accredited colleges below to learn more!
If you are interested in becoming a licensed psychologist in New York, you have several years of college coursework, research and supervised work experience ahead of you.
However, most psychologists find the demands worth it compared to the satisfaction they derive from their career. You have the opportunity to deeply impact the lives of others in a way that most people never get to experience.
This may come from getting patients who are deeply depressed to see their own worth or finally diagnosing a severely mentally ill person correctly. You may also be heavily involved in mental health research and serve people on a wider scale.
Clinical Psychology Degree Options and Curriculum
You need a minimum of a doctorate degree to work as a clinical psychologist in New York. Of course, you first need to complete your undergraduate studies and then obtain a graduate degree before you have enough credentials to work in the field.
As part of your degree program, you will study the history and concepts of psychology in addition to practicing your skills in an internship situation. You can expect to complete coursework similar to the following:
- Research Methods
- Statistics in Psychology
- Counseling Theories
- Lifespan Development
- Multicultural and Ethical Issues
- Biological Basis of Behavior
To be licensed as a psychologist in New York, you must be at least 21 years old and possess good moral character. You also need to pay a $294 application fee and meet educational, experience and exam requirements.
Licensed psychologists in New York must have completed a doctoral degree program that is included in the Inventory of Registered Programs by the Office of Higher Education for New York State.
As part of degree program, you are required to complete training on how to identify and report child abuse.
The experience component of the licensing process requires that you complete two years of full-time work experience under the supervision of a licensed psychologist. At least one year must be completed after you have received your PhD.
You must pass the Examination for Professional Practice in Psychology (EPPP) with a score of 75 or higher for complete licensure.
Career Outlook for Graduates in New York
The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) lists three classifications of psychologists in New York.
- Industrial and organizational psychologists earn a median annual salary of $89,880. They primarily work in corporate settings to help the company recruit and motivate employees as well as assist employees with mental health issues. There were 90 people employed as industrial psychologists in New York in 2012.
- Clinical, counseling and school psychologists earn approximately $84,850 per year. These psychologists work with people directly to help them solve routine to complex mental health issues. In 2012, 10,170 people worked as clinical, counseling and school psychologists in New York.
- The third category, all other psychologists, reported an average annual income in 2012 of $92,450. These psychologists tend to work for the military, in hospitals, in scientific research and other highly credentialed fields. There were 590 New York residents with the job description all other psychologists in 2012.
Overall, psychologists are expected to remain in high demand for at least the foreseeable future. An aging population, the need for higher productivity on the job and families in crisis are the primary reasons for the anticipated growth rate of 22 percent according to the BLS.
Compare psychology programs in your area and start pursuing the next level in your career. Use our listings below to take the next step!
Clinical Psychology Degree Programs
Welcome to the most complete directory on the Web of Clinical Psychology programs. It contains all the nationally accredited programs, from 453 schools across the country.